Impossible to remove a persistent network drive mapping when logged on disconnected

Helfe beim Thema Impossible to remove a persistent network drive mapping when logged on disconnected in Windows 10 Support um eine Lösung zu finden; Initial situation (tested with Windows 10, 8.1, 7 and XP): Create a persistent (!) network drive mapping (a.k.a. "Reconnect at logon") using the... Dieses Thema im Forum "Windows 10 Support" wurde erstellt von [JackJack], 23. August 2015.

1. [JackJack]
    [JackJack] Gast

Impossible to remove a persistent network drive mapping when logged on disconnected

Initial situation (tested with Windows 10, 8.1, 7 and XP):
    1. Create a persistent (!) network drive mapping (a.k.a. "Reconnect at logon") using the integrated/official "Map Network Drive" dialog .
    2. Now physically disconnect from the network folder (unplug the cable or shut down the target system)
    3. Log off and on again. A balloon message will tell "Could not reconnect all network drives", but the drive will still be visible in the Explorer (with a red cross). The balloon message is the best indication that you've reproduced the steps correctly.

At this point I'd like to remove that network drive.

There are multiple ways to do this.

- Probably the easiest way to reproduce it is by command line: net use X: /delete

- API: WNetCancelConnection2 or WNetDisconnectDialog1

- Windows Explorer main menu: Tools > Disconnect network drive

and a couple of others.

All of them result in the problem that the drive letter icon remains in the Explorer although the network drive has been disconnected.

Some details that indicate that this is a bug and not feature:

- Although the drive letter icon is shown in the Explorer it's not visible in any other software and not accessible through Windows API

- The drive letter can be used for a new network drive connection. If done so, the new path is mapped to it, but the old name/path remains in the Explorer.

- The drive letter can be used to be assigned to a local drive in the Disk Management dialog. For example after changing the drive letter of a DVD drive to the disconnected network drive letter the drive is still shown as a network drive in the Explorer but leads to the content of the DVD drive.

To solve this problem at this point the user has either to log off and on again or kill explorer.exe and run it again. This shows that it's some kind of orphaned drive in some internal Explorer cache or object list that is not removed correctly.

There is one way to remove the drive correctly in the first place:

Right-click on the drive and choose "Disconnect". This works flawlessly! The network drive is disconnected and immediately removed. Notice: this only works if done in the first place. If the drive has already been disconnected using one of the other methods, this option will only show "This network connection does not exist."

I've discussed this problem with many experts already and there doesn't seem to be a workaround for this. At the moment if you want to programmatically disconnect a persistent network drive that wasn't available during logon you'll end up with an orphaned drive.

This applies to all Windows versions from XP to 10, x64 and x86. (older versions not tested)

Is there any chance this could be solved by patching Windows?

Weiterlesen...

#1 [JackJack], 23. August 2015
  2. Hobi Expert
    Willkommen,

Diese Schritte solltest du nacheinander ausführen:
Thema:

Die Seite wird geladen...

Impossible to remove a persistent network drive mapping when logged on disconnected - Ähnliche Themen - Impossible remove persistent

Forum Datum

UAC Prompt when ejecting a USB drive remotely RDP

UAC Prompt when ejecting a USB drive remotely RDP: Subject: Unable to eject USB drive over RDPBody:I am currently experiencing an issue where I am unable to eject a USB drive over an RDP connection to a customer's machine. When I attempt to do so, I am prompted for a UAC prompt. This is not possible as either an admin or user without UAC. I have...

Windows 10 Support 14. Dezember 2023

remove everything from a drive thats write protected

remove everything from a drive thats write protected: Hello! I recently had some problems with my computer and had to reset windows 10. I have windows running on a new Drive now and everything works fine there. The old drive saved its files and I can look at a lot of them. I copied everything from the old drive to the new drive and I could reset it...

Windows 10 Support 29. November 2023

windows errorcode 0x8007003b, when try to copy a file to a nas-storage.

windows errorcode 0x8007003b, when try to copy a file to a nas-storage.: since one week problems, when I try to copy a file to a NAS-Storage, I get the above mentioned errorcode. All hints in the internet regarding switch off of indexing, execution of SFC doesn't fix my problem. Weiterlesen...

Windows 10 Support 26. April 2023

Network crashes when connecting to print server published in ActiveDirectory

Network crashes when connecting to print server published in ActiveDirectory: Dear allTL-DR: every computer Server, W7, W10, virutual or physical machine looses network connectivity when connecting to a specific Server2019 printer server. We are experienced sysadmins and know our way around windows, server, AD and networking but this problem seems to be above our...

Windows 10 Support 15. September 2022

how to remove a printer - 2 possibilities

how to remove a printer - 2 possibilities: Hi Forum I recently asked myself about the 2 possibilites to remove a printer in the control panel. First possiblity is to remove a device when I click the menu on top (see attachment "printer_sample2) and the other when I right-click the device and choose "remoe device" but I have to put in the...

Windows 10 Allgemeines 6. Juli 2021

Network Adapter Driver

Network Adapter Driver: Since I upgraded to Windows 10, I had some issues with audio and video so i used LatencyMon, which told me i have problems with the Network driver, so i tried updating it. My Network adapter is: Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS 6.30 I currently have the...

Windows 10 Support 9. Oktober 2020

Slow Internet Connection on pc when connected to a certain wifi router, but works fine when...

Slow Internet Connection on pc when connected to a certain wifi router, but works fine when...: So I connected my PC to this wifi router it's a Fritz!box 7590 for the first time and for some reason it can't even reach a speed of 100 Kbit/s, though our internet has an average of 150 Mbit/s. I thought a simple restarting of the computer and the router would help but it didn't and the...

Windows 10 Support 1. Februar 2020

Mal-/ A d ware that I can't seem to remove

Mal-/ A d ware that I can't seem to remove: It started about a few days ago i get the usual signs of malware: New Tabs with ads every so often but it goes deeper. For some reason it prevents my browsers and as a mather of fact any program to display the word "a d w a r e" (a d w - is already enough even my windows explorer) it just closes...

Windows 10 Sicherheit 4. Juni 2018

Impossible to remove a persistent network drive mapping when logged on disconnected [gelöst]

Andere User suchten nach Lösungen mit:

1. disconnected network drive lässt sich nicht löschen

2. remove disconnected drive windows 10

3. disconnected network drive This network connection does not exist.

1. Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Wenn du dich weiterhin auf dieser Seite aufhältst, akzeptierst du unseren Einsatz von Cookies.
    Auf dieser Website werden Cookies für die Zugriffsanalyse und Anzeigenmessung verwendet.
    Information ausblenden