What are the rules regarding casing of values for environment variable USERNAME in Windows?

Helfe beim Thema What are the rules regarding casing of values for environment variable USERNAME in Windows? in Windows 10 Support um eine Lösung zu finden; One of my customers says that in his AD usernames have mixed case sometimes and besides that, that people are able to successfully login using another... Dieses Thema im Forum "Windows 10 Support" wurde erstellt von ThorstenSchöning, 10. Oktober 2018.

1. ThorstenSchöning
    ThorstenSchöning Gast

What are the rules regarding casing of values for environment variable USERNAME in Windows?

One of my customers says that in his AD usernames have mixed case sometimes and besides that, that people are able to successfully login using another casing of usernames. So there might be an "ExampleUser" in the AD and Windows allows them to login with "exampleUSER" etc. as well.

But what is the impact on the environment variable "USERNAME"?

I have tested a bit myself without an AD and in all of my tests "USERNAME" had the value of the username as it has been created. So in case of "ExampleUser" created in Windows, using the login "EXAMPLEuser" provided "ExampleUser" as "USERNAME". That happened for RDP where users are free to input usernames as well as using "runas".

My customer said that this is not the case for him at least sometimes, but instead if "ExampleUser" in the AD logs in using "exampleUSER", "USERNAME" really contains the value of the current login, "exampleUSER". I've found another question describing that as well:

> For some users in this office, %USERNAME% is always in the case they type it when logging in.

> For other users, %USERNAME has until recently always been in the canonical case (for a user logging in as elenasimpson it returns ElenaSimpson), but last week mysteriously started only doing this sometimes and the rest of the time returning it as typed. Rebooting often toggles to the other behaviour.

What I did not found is any official docs from MS of what is the value of "USERNAME" under which setups and inputs of users. Are there any rules one can rely on?

Thanks!

Weiterlesen...

#1 ThorstenSchöning, 10. Oktober 2018
  2. Hobi Expert
    Willkommen,

Ansonsten versuche folgende Schritte:
  3. Suman_B
    Suman_B Gast

Hi ThorstenSchöning,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Your questions seems to be more appropriate for the TechNet forums. Please post your question here:
    Technet forums

Regards,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community-Moderator.

4. AndiK87
    AndiK87 Gast
    Hi,

für Windows7 geht es am besten mit SMB:
    https://help.synology.com/dsm/?secti...acnfs_win.html

Hier eine Übersicht aller Ports, unter File Transferring->CIFS findest du die benötigten.
    DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

Zum Thema NFS habe ich das in der MS-Hilfe gefunden, ein Client gibt es schon in Windows7, muss nur aktiviert werden.
    NFS client for Windows 7 - Microsoft Community

Eine Frage zum Verständnis:
    Aber du gehst doch über ein Router ins Internet oder? Also FritzBox oder ähnlich. Wenn dort keine Ports auf das NAS oder dein Windows7-PC geleitet sind, dann ist das schon so ziemlich sicher.

5. ThorstenSchöning
    ThorstenSchöning Gast
    #4 ThorstenSchöning, 11. Oktober 2018
  6. niklasschaefer
    niklasschaefer Gast
    Hi,
    Erstmal hier eine kurze Info was ein Coa ist. Was ist das Windows-Echtheitszertifikat (Certificate of Authenticity)?

Das beschreibt im Endeffekt ein Zertifikat was von Microsoft kommt ein sichtbares und ein unsichtbares Siegel bedruckt ist wo dann der Key drauf steht. Solche Sachen würde ich grundsätzlich bei alternate, mindfactory oder direkt bei microsoft bestellen ist zwar ein bisschen teurer aber du kannst sicher seinndas du eine orginal Lizenz erhältst. Windows mit Plattform: Windows 8 Preisvergleich | Geizhals Deutschland

#5 niklasschaefer, 11. Oktober 2018
Thema:

Die Seite wird geladen...

What are the rules regarding casing of values for environment variable USERNAME in Windows? - Ähnliche Themen - What are the

Forum Datum

Variables in Autounattened installation of Windows 10

Variables in Autounattened installation of Windows 10: Dear Community, I hope you can help.We are trying to automate the installation of Windows 10 with the autounanattened.xml.In that xml we want to use variables for computername and password for Administrators account<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><!DOCTYPE unattend [<!ENTITY computername...

Windows 10 Support 7. Juni 2022

What are the differences between the different Product Numbers for the Microsoft USB-C...

What are the differences between the different Product Numbers for the Microsoft USB-C...: What are the differences between the different Product Numbers for the Microsoft USB-C Travel Hub?- 1E4-00002- SWV-00002- SWV-00003They are all being sold at the moment. But are there even any differences?Thanks! Weiterlesen...

Surface 12. November 2021

Variable in Variable?

Variable in Variable?: Hallo Zusammen Ich möchte in batch eine Variable in einer Variable ausgeben. @echo off set counter=0 set i=1 :loop set/p eingabe=Bitte Zahl eingeben: set/a zahl=%eingabe% + 0 echo. cls if %zahl% neq %eingabe% ( goto Fehler ) set/a counter=%counter% + 1 set a_%counter%==%eingabe% :Fehler For...

Windows 10 Support 2. Mai 2020

Durch Environment-Variables in Windows 10 Programm ausführen?

Durch Environment-Variables in Windows 10 Programm ausführen?: Hallo! Ich habe ein Programm in C:\Projects Mit dem Namen "programm.py". Ich würde es gerne mit dem Befehl "pexe" in CMD ausführen, dazu brauche ich ja die "System-Environment-Variables", wie funktioniert das ganze nun?...

Windows 10 Support 17. Oktober 2019

WMI environment variable query

WMI environment variable query: I want to query with WMI if a environment variable exists. Since there is no "EXISTS" statement in WQL I have to find another way.. Weiterlesen...

Windows 10 Support 13. Mai 2019

Windows Firewall Rules For Program on Removable Device

Windows Firewall Rules For Program on Removable Device: The following Setting: I have a program installed on a crypted HDD (True/Veracrypt) which is mounted after the user logs on to the same drive letter (E). Therefore, I think the device is considered as a removable device. Whenever I access the web the program is blocked again even though...

Windows 10 Support 22. August 2017

the secret of society

the secret of society: Hallo zusammen, versuche es heute das erste Mal in einer Community, weil anders keine Lösung zu finden ist. Ich spiele seit 8 Monaten the Secret of Society. Seit 2 Wochen habe ich keine Verbindung zum Server, seit gestern sind meine Freunde weg, und ich komme keinen Level weiter. Habe Windows...

Windows 10 Support 2. April 2017

Low Volume turns of the sound for Headphones

Low Volume turns of the sound for Headphones: Example Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjXm5L1WH0 When the volume is too low, the Headphones just turn off. How to prevent that? The sound does not turn off at low volume for normal speakers aswell... Weiterlesen...

Windows 10 Support 7. August 2016

What are the rules regarding casing of values for environment variable USERNAME in Windows? [gelöst]

1. Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Wenn du dich weiterhin auf dieser Seite aufhältst, akzeptierst du unseren Einsatz von Cookies.
    Auf dieser Website werden Cookies für die Zugriffsanalyse und Anzeigenmessung verwendet.
    Information ausblenden