My Windows 10 OS was just almost ruined by a glitch on registry file association. The cause...

Helfe beim Thema My Windows 10 OS was just almost ruined by a glitch on registry file association. The cause... in Windows 10 Support um eine Lösung zu finden; I tried to view some compressed vector images SVGZ format. When the "open with" dialog window was shown, I chose Google Chrome and checked "Always use... Dieses Thema im Forum "Windows 10 Support" wurde erstellt von CAE_, 10. Dezember 2020.

1. CAE_
    CAE_ Gast

My Windows 10 OS was just almost ruined by a glitch on registry file association. The cause...

I tried to view some compressed vector images SVGZ format. When the "open with" dialog window was shown, I chose Google Chrome and checked "Always use this program". Then I suddenly noticed that all the SVGZ and exe file icons change to Google Chrome icon.

Then, whenever I ran an exe file, Google Chrome pops up and asks me to download that EXE. I even couldn't run any program from Win+R window or from command prompt because that will also open Google Chrome instead. Luckily I had a PowerShell window still opened and ran "reg query" to check out the problem regedit won't work because that will pop up Chrome, but reg worked, I guess because of the argument attached?.

Turns out the default value for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe was mistakenly changed from "exefile" to "svgz_auto_file". Changing it back by running reg add HKCR\.exe /ve /d "exefile" and restarting the explorer solved the problem I was glad it worked, otherwise I couldn't even start explorer anymore.

It just blowed my mind how Windows can mistake SVGZ to EXE. These two just look in no way similar at all. Another thing that annoys me is that M$ blocked editing of many keys by assining TrustedInstaller the ownership of those keys, but left something as crucial as HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe open.

Although I am also partially responsible for this mess because I added full permission for this key to myself, a quick check on my workplace computer shows that by default Administrator also has full permission on this key.

This means basically you can just send anyone a malicious REG file which alters HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe key and if they were tricked to merge the REG file the action requires UAC popup and elevation to Administrator anyway it can instantely cripple their system.

Weiterlesen...

2. Hobi Expert
    Willkommen,

Diese Schritte solltest du nacheinander ausführen:
Thema:

Die Seite wird geladen...

My Windows 10 OS was just almost ruined by a glitch on registry file association. The cause... - Ähnliche Themen - just almost ruined

Forum Datum

My monitor keeps changing the refresh rate on reboot

My monitor keeps changing the refresh rate on reboot: Hey, so I recently got a new monitor acer ei322qur and when I first used it, I set the refresh rate to 165hz in the Windows settings under System -> Display ->Advanced Graphic Options -> Refresh rate but when I rebooted my PC it was back at 60hz. Does anybody know why? Weiterlesen...

Windows 10 Support 31. Dezember 2022

Just Cause App startet nicht?

Just Cause App startet nicht?: [ATTACH] Das kommt da immer, auch bei Flight Simulator, also alles was aus dem ms Store ist. was muss ich machen https://www.gutefrage.net/frage/just-cause-app-startet-nicht

Windows 10 Support 1. Juni 2021

I need help finding a solution or atleast the cause for my Bluescreen problem. SYSTEM...

I need help finding a solution or atleast the cause for my Bluescreen problem. SYSTEM...: So I've been having this issue now for about a month. Started with trying to install Microsoft Flight Simulator. It crashed in the process a couple of times. But without Bluescreens though. It restarted normally after. After a few times, I had enough, so I stopped the download and went to bed....

Windows 10 Support 9. Mai 2021

Windows 10 Registry/file tracker/cleaner?

Windows 10 Registry/file tracker/cleaner?: Ich suche eine Software mit der sich die Registry und Dateien tracken (Und auch wieder löschen) lassen die ein Programm bei der Installation auf dem Computer speichert. Ich habe bereits SpyMe tools getesten was auch ganz gut funktioniert aber nicht in der lage ist die einträge auch zu...

Windows 10 Support 23. November 2020

how to recover encrypted files on new windows 10 os?

how to recover encrypted files on new windows 10 os?: Hello, I have the following problem: Due to problems with the Windows 1809 Update, I had to completly reinstall my Windows 10. On my old Windows 10 OS, I had some files which I encrypted (right-click on file -> properties -> advanced -> encrypt contents to secure data). I have a whole backup...

Windows 10 Support 12. April 2019

Malware: all my data files especially on my NAS system (Synology) are encrypted

Malware: all my data files especially on my NAS system (Synology) are encrypted: I got hacked and all my data files especially on my NAS system (Synology) are encrypted with the "qweuirtksd" extension. I can not access my music and picture files and the hackers asked me to pay $500 to get the data back. Who can help me? Weiterlesen...

Windows 10 Sicherheit 21. Oktober 2018

Windows 10 just a Moment

Windows 10 just a Moment: Hallo Habe mir gestern ein neuen Gaming PC von Asus gekauft. Jetzt steht bei mir immer da just a Moment. Der Kreis unten ist aber in Bewegung. Habe es die ganze Nacht laufengelassen heute früh war es immer noch so was kann ich tun damit es weiter geht LG und danke für die ideen Weiterlesen...

Windows 10 Support 16. Juli 2016

Icons move to the left on a 4K monitor

Icons move to the left on a 4K monitor: Hi Everyone, I am having a great problem with my 4K monitor (LG 27MU67-B)connected to a Nvidia GTX980 via Displayport. I am using the monitor in native resolution (3840 x 2160) with a zoom factor of 175%. The Windows version is Windows 10 Home. The problem is: After standby all icons on the...

Windows 10 Support 27. Juni 2016

My Windows 10 OS was just almost ruined by a glitch on registry file association. The cause... [gelöst]

1. Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Wenn du dich weiterhin auf dieser Seite aufhältst, akzeptierst du unseren Einsatz von Cookies.
    Auf dieser Website werden Cookies für die Zugriffsanalyse und Anzeigenmessung verwendet.
    Information ausblenden